Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Some Thoughts on a Tragedy
So I have been processing the events that happened here in Tucson a few weeks ago. The shootings happened about 15 mintues from our house in an area I am frequently in. Last Saturday was the first time I drove by the Safeway since the incident and it was such a somber feeling. I also happened to drive by Gabrielle's Tucson offices later that day and was amazed at all of the flowers and posters and stuffed animals out front. The news crew was still there. You tend to hear about these things happening in a far away location to someone else's congresswoman, but when it happens so close to home it is such a reminder of how fragile life is for all of us. I remember Sept. 11, 2001 watching the news that night as they were interviewing survivors thinking "WOW, these people just woke up and got ready for their day this morning as they normally do with no clue that in the evening they would be on the national news talking about the worst experience of their lives." We all have different missions in life and things that are indivdually important for us to learn. It sounds like an absolute miracle that Gabrielle was able to survive as she has. I wonder what missions she has left in life? What a reminder that life is so precious and we need to use our time here wisely. The night before the shooting I received an form email from Gabrielle's office inviting me to Safeway for her congresswoman on the corner get together. I remarked to Tim that it was one of those things that we should probably go to, although we never seriously made plans to. Gabrielle has not been the representative of my choice, but my prayers have certainly been with her and her family. Thank you again to all of you who have expressed concern for us! It still feels like the city is healing and trying to make sense of this and move on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought about you when all of this happened and wondered how close you were. Glad to see the family is doing well. I love your new family picture!!!
It is scary when something happens close to home......makes you feel like staying IN your home all the time.
Post a Comment