Also this week I found our first termite pipe. They say there are two types of houses here in Tucson, those that have termites and those that will have termites. Luckily our house is still under termite warranty, so the bug company is coming to "take care of it."
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Beetles, Mesquite Trees and Termites...Oh My!
Ahhh Fall. Here in Arizona that means such different things then it typically does around the rest of the country. There are no leaves changing colors, there is no getting out warmer clothing, and there certainly is no crispness in the air. I was trying to explain to my neighbor (an Tucson native) about what I miss about Fall and used the word "cripness," and she thought I was talking about "Christmas." How do you explain crispness to someone who has never experienced a fall somewhere else? At any rate, what Fall does bring here is slightly lower temperatures (we are now down to the low 100s/high 90s, which by the way, sounds downright winterish to those in Phoenix) and an end to the Monsoon season, which - in turn - brings a lot of bug/critters. In the mornings when you go outside the driveway is covered with the carcases of these little red beetles:
So we have two mesquite trees in the front yard which grow like crazy during the Monsoon season. When I say "grow like crazy" I mean to the point where they really need to be trimmed AT LEAST once a week. So you can really pick your battle with mesquite tree varieties. We have two types, the thorny prickly kind and the kind that drops messy pods all over. Trimming the trees was nice today because I finally realized the kids were old enough to pick up the trimmed branches. They did a great job!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ok, So I have to admit that I don't miss the cockroaches and it's too cold for termites up here and we don't have to pick up prickly branches up here! I am so excited to have the Beans in Flagstaff! Let me know if you guys still want to do a Polar Express trip, dates are running out!
I used my kids the same way today--to pick up vines from the out of control honeysuckle growing along our fence! Aren't kids great!
I'm not so excited about fall coming because our summer was only about 3 months long this year. I'm not ready for snow.
Okay--I had forgotten already about how quickly those Mesquite trees grow!! They get so out of hand so fast!! And the bugs--ewww! We had the bugs in Vegas too--black widows especially this time of year! We killed 4 the week we were leaving!! Now that we are in Flagstaff--we just haven't seen any quite yet! And I mean YET! We have only been here 8 days now!!
I too want to do the Polar Express! Elisa and I have talked about it and we are going to get a count of everyone and buy tickets together!! It will be fun!!
I also hate the bugs in the morning on our driveway...yuck! Love your blog, feel free to post my address on your site and I'll do the same. -Michelle H.
i hate bugs!!!!! it seems like we have more spiders in vegas so i dont know which is worse. it never really rains or has any other season that just hot and windy. i dont know who would ever pick to live in this horrible state:) stacie and i have been talking about making a visit. we will let you know if we do. sometime in late oct.
Post a Comment